08.14.10

pistachio cupcakes

These cupcakes are delicious, incredibly moist (which is mostly likely attributed to the full cup of oil), and embarrassingly easy to make. It’s a little tough to get these cupcakes to look lovely due to the nature of the frosting, but seriously, every time I make these cupcakes, people’s reaction never fails to disappoint–the phrase “Best cupcake I’ve ever had!” has been used more than once.

Pistachio Cupcakes

This recipe also works well (maybe even better) as a bundt cake.

Yields 24 (Calorie estimate: 250/cupcake)

1 pkg white cake mix
1 pkg instant pistachio pudding mix
1 c. oil
3 eggs
1 c. club soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients and beat at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Pour batter into cupcake tins and bake for 18-22 minutes.

Frosting

2 envelopes Dream Whip (in baking aisle)
1 1/4 c. cold milk (at least 2%)
1 pkg instant pistachio pudding mix

Combine milk and Dream Whip.  Beat on high speed until peaks form.  Add pudding mix and beat until thoroughly mixed.  Spread on outside of cooled cupcakes and refrigerate.

47 Responses

1. Amanda says:

These look so pretty and sound super easy to make. Love the pretty green frosting.

2. seaofcurls says:

This looks delicious :) But what’s “club soda”?

3. Nikki says:

These look great! I’m so excited to make them…Thanks for posting! Every Christmas I make pistachio pudding cookies so these will be fun to try. If you like these, you should check out my cookie recipe http://bit.ly/a9jKXV

4. Jess says:

I’m in the middle of day 1 of a new diet and these might do me in!They look so amazing!

5. shelby says:

Hi, these look wonderful..what temp do you bake the cupcakes at and for how long?

6. beth says:

Thank you so much for posting this. This has always been my favorite cake from my grandmother and my mom. We always make the frosting with cool whip though, everything else the same. Even easier!

Beth

7. Susan says:

I can’t wait to try this combination. I have a similar recipe using a lemon cake and lemon pudding. There could be endless combinations of mixes to test out. yummo

8. lidia says:

this looks and sounds amazing, i will definitely
    be trying this recipe. just wondering…
    do these have to be refrigerated?

9. lidia says:

i tried this recipe and loved it! thank you so much for sharing.

10. [...] didn't have all the ingredients I needed. I did come across another pistachio cupcake recipe by Two Tiny Kitchens which uses a pistachio pudding mix and a white cake mix. It just so happened that I've had a [...]

11. [...] didn't have all the ingredients I needed. I did come across another pistachio cupcake recipe by Two Tiny Kitchens which uses a pistachio pudding mix and a white cake mix. It just so happened that I've had a [...]

12. Nilmary says:

Just made these for my baby shower and they turned out so yummy! My friend and I have been wanting to try these for a while now.

13. [...] just never quite satisfied.  Until now.  Ashley suggested doctoring up a cake mix sorta like her pistachio cupcake recipe, and the results are super tasty!  Really, these were very rich, moist and just what I’d [...]

14. [...] at a whole lot of foodgawker during the week, I felt the need to bake something. I found this recipe for pistachio cupcakes (pistachio being a flavor that I learned to like through Yogurtland’s soft serve froyo in LA [...]

15. Molly says:

what does the club soda do?

16. Janna says:

I just made the pistachio cupcakes and they came out very light and fluffy. I forgot to get club soda so i substituted it for water. I cant wait to frost them and share with everyone yum.

17. These look incredible! I cannot wait to make them for the next get together we attend. I may have to come up with an excuse to make them sooner!

18. mbroz says:

these look so artifical…..

19. briana77 says:

My roommates LOVE this recipe, however, i use a simple cream cheese frosting… its seems like a little too much pistachio otherwise. But all in all, a great, easy recipe!

• editsweet26 says:

I’m in the middle of cooling them and I had a taste of the frosting- can you say GENIUS!?! I cannot wait to make these next week for my girlfriend’s baby shower!

20. Carrie MONSON says:

Hahaha FOUND IT. The recipes of all recipes. God bless whomever first came up with this recipe.

21. Sally Leah says:

These are delicious, we make them often. There is another recipe that replaces the Pistachio Pudding with Butter Pecan Pudding, but it is impossible to find the pudding anymore.

22. [...] break was that I got to cook things! Yay! I have always wanted to try making a pistachio cake (This Two Tiny Kitchens blog post inspired me) and so I used their recipe, but tweaked it a little to [...]

23. [...] On the menu (click for recipes): Green Fruit Salad with Cream Cheese Fluff, Green Veggies with Green Pea Hummus, Egg Salad Sandwiches, Cucumber Dill Sandwiches, Pistachio Cupcakes [...]

24. Vanessa g says:

Im gonna try these tomorrow!

25. Amna says:

funny story about these cupcakes.

26. Amna says:

Oops, submitted my post before I meant to.
    funny story about these cupcakes.
    I tried them and they were absolutely delicious, I started making them all the time! They’re what I bake when I feel like baking but don’t have time or energy to do anything extensive and difficult. They taste so good! One day, I began to bake them and I thought I had all the ingredients, turns out I didn’t have club soda. I was aware that the carbonation changed the texture and I didn’t know what to do. It was 3am and there was no place open that would have any. I used root beer instead. Get this, they tasted even better. Now I always use half a cup of root beer! another thing that tastes great with these is the rainbow party chip white cake mix by betty crocker.

27. Black kisses says:

I love the creativity of it and its simple 2 make and then eat also. Thanks 4 da recipe, cause me and my husband been lookin 4 diz recipe everysince my aunt let uz taste em. THANKS!!!!!!!!! THERE 2 DIE 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Kelsey says:

LOVE this recipe! I was thinking of trying it out as a bundt cake like you suggested, and was wondering how long you recommend baking it/at what temp?

29. [...] Pistachio Cupcakes [...]

30. verriane says:

I’m so excited to try it. Tomorrow i will go to the grocery store.. is the club soda and the pistachio pudding mix is here in the Philippines?where can I buy it?

31. T Sizzle says:

Made these again today for the fam. So nice! Post some more stuff please!!!

32. Madelein says:

Hi these cupcakes look amazing I really want to make them… but I’m in South-Africa and i’m not sure where to find the pistachio pudding mix… Any suggestions?