02.10.11

red velvet valentine cakes

Yum, yum, yum!  I love the idea of red velvet cupcakes, but they never turn out as tender and moist as I imagine they should be.  I’ve made a few recipes from scratch and I’m just never quite satisfied.  Until now.  Ashley suggested doctoring up a cake mix sorta like her pistachio cupcake recipe, and the results are super tasty!  Really, these were very rich, moist and just what I’d imagined a red velvet cupcake could and should be.  They were a fun, super easy valentine treat to make with the kids using a little trick I saw over at Cafe Ina

Super Moist Red Velvet Cupcakes

Yields 24 (Calorie estimate: 345/cupcake)

1 pkg red velvet cake mix

1 pkg instant chocolate pudding mix

1 c. oil

2 eggs + 1 yolk

1 c. club soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients and beat at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Pour batter into cupcake tins and bake for 18-22 minutes.

(Important: Fill the cupcake liners TO THE TOP of the cupcake liners. This is very important because it will insure you have enough top to cup off if you are planning to do the heart design.)

Cream Cheese Frosting

adapted from Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

41/2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature

6 ounces cream cheese, cold (I used room temperature)

scant 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Beat the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and butter together in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment.  Mix on medium-slow speed until it comes together and is well mixed.  Add the cream cheese all at once and beat on medium to medium-high until incorporated.  Turn the mixer to medium-high and beat for 5 minutes, or until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.  Do not over-beat as the frosting can quickly become runny.

When the cupcakes are cooled, take a serrated knife and gently cut off the fluffy tops, right at the paper. Using a small heart-shape cookie cutter, cut out the center of the tops.  Frost the flat top of the cupcake that you just cut and then place back the top.

44 Responses

1. nishi says:

that looks delicious and I love the heart cutout :) I want to bake red velvel cake so I might try your recipe.

2. Great photos! Plus the recipe looks divine. We’d love for you to share your recipe at dishfolio.com!

3. Alina says:

They’re beautiful! I’ve never had red velvet cupcake before – they’re just not popular where I live. Your Valentine red velvet cakes look fabulous!!

4. LEW says:

Just from past experiences to those who are new to red velvet… absolutely delicious BUT will stain like crazy if you are messy… which is why I would advise to keep them away from light colored everything!! (a friend of mine who did red velvet cake at her wedding still swears over that bad decision. And not kid friendly except outside where you can hose them off ; – D

5. Laurel says:

This is such a cute idea! And they really do look moist! I’d love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight.

6. Michele C says:

I used devil’s food boxed cake mix then did the heart cutout. I used canned vanilla frosting and red sugar sprinkles and then reassembled. Grandsons love them.

7. Cory says:

I always love cake cookies, so soft. Love the color! Bookmarked!

8. Kathleen says:

These are adorable! I love me red velvet anything!!!

9. Rose Plated says:

This is so cute. I can’t wait to make some of this for this coming valentines. Actually my son is asking what will be a great gift for this coming valentines. I guess this will be perfect.

10. huntfortheverybest says:

those are so cute…great idea!

11. [...] for this evening or maybe after school, here’s one more idea for you! I originally saw these semi-homemade red velvet cupcakes with hearts cut out of them on Two Tiny Kitchens.  The cupcake and frosting recipe is posted there [...]

12. I think I am not too late to make some of this for my valentines treat for my family. Thanks for the recipe.

13. brittany says:

love these!
    in the icing ingredients it doesn’t say anything about cinnamon but on the instructions it tells you to mix powdered sugar, cinnamon and butter together.
    was that a typo? if so, how much cinnamon? :)

14. Betty says:

Just found your blog and bookmarked it. Going to check out all your recipes they look wonderful.

15. [...] for Valentine under $5.00 Terrific Valentine Day Treats! Heart Garland: My daughter LOVED this one! Cupcakes for the crafty Mom! Onto more things that we can use every day…let’s see…we found ways to cook [...]

16. [...] Red Velvet Valentines Cupcakes [...]

17. Bobbie says:

About the pudding, which size pudding?

18. cyu says:

for the club soda, as in the pop?
    how does it help the taste of the cupcake?

19. Bobbie says:

Thanks. My daughter wants to make them for work next Tuesday, V-Day. I’m anxious to see how they turn out. :) I think I will keep the cutout hearts at home for me, the hubby and our son.

20. Amanda Mikokis says:

What brand of red velvet cake mix did you use?

21. [...] Red Velvet Valentine Cake (from Two Tiny Kitchens) [...]

22. [...] my fav…red velvet! Best when its super duper moist with home made cream cheese frosting. Two Tiny Kitchens can fill you [...]

23. coolio says:

i m plannin on making them for v-day. do they taste food? :-O wouldnt the chocolate pudding makes the color a bit darker?

24. Robin k says:

What size instant pudding package should I use?

25. Kailee says:

Am I the only one who ended up with an overflowing red-velvety mess? :(

26. Wonderful :)
    Gotta make them!!

27. Bobbie Sellers says:

Made the cupcakes for Valentines and they were excellent! Extremely moist.

28. Someone says:

That looks so good. I love red velvet,but to be honest this looks like the best red velvet in the world! Thanks for giving me the recipe:)

29. [...] love this two-in-one red velvet cake [...]

30. anna says:

hi, i would love reprint permission to feature in a regional magazine. Please contact me at email above. thank you!

31. [...] of a Foodie Bride} 3. Red Velvet Cake Roll Recipe {Lola-Elise} 1. Red Velvet Valentine Cupcakes {Two Tiny Kitchens} 2. Red Velvet Cheesecake Truffles {Beantown Baker} 3. Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies {i really [...]

32. camellia says:

can i ask a question ? 1 cup equal to how many g / ml ?